Monday, February 28, 2011

Sermon on the Mount - "Blessed Are" - Matthew 5:1-12

Matthew 5:1-12 (NIV)

1 Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.

He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

+++++
+++++

My Notes:

The King of Heaven did not write a constitution. He did not establish a government. He didn't even claim a piece of real estate or draw borders for his kingdom. He did not attack any other king on earth to to take their kingdom.

The King of Heaven stood on a mountain amongst crowds of people in a land occupied by another empire, and began to teach them. He told them that the kingdom of heaven belongs to the poor in spirit. Peacemakers will be called sons of God. If I am persecuted (and insulted) for behaving rightly, the kingdom of heaven is mine.

These are the laws of the kingdom of heaven, written in love on the hearts of its' citizens. And we're all invited. King Jesus describes a kingdom upside-down. The greatest are the meek, the persecuted, the servants, the children. Seeking power in the kingdom won't get me anywhere. And Jesus isn't interested in just becoming king of my personal kingdom (or Lord of my life), he's asking me to submit to his kingly rule, to lay down my pride, and my control, and my personal achievement, and my desire to be liked, and leave it all to join up with all the rest who have done the same to be part of this other kingdom.
Where the earth will be given to the meek. Where the merciful will be shown mercy.

I can see why Jesus says that it's hard for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. I can see why someone whould sell everything they have to buy this pearl.

++

Father,

I want to be in the second group. Please challenge me this week with this new way (ancient way) of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment