Saturday, February 12, 2011

Jesus' Baptism - Matthew 3:13-17

I'm going to keep including the text in each day's reading until Sunday. On Sunday we'll talk about it, and I may switch to just the references. Let me know.

(Mark 1:9-11, Luke 3:21-22, John 1:29-34)

Matthew 3:13-17 (NIV)

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14 But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”

15 Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.

16 As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17 And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

++++++++++

Before you read, ask God to speak to you through his Word, and help you understand it and know him better.

As you read, consider the following questions:

1. What does this passage tell me about Jesus?

2. How is Holy Spirit encouraging me?

3. How is Holy Spirit convicting me?

4. How can I as an individual and we as the church live this out?

5. What questions do I have about this passage?

In a journal, write the date, the passages you read, and then write a sentence or two at least about the text, your thoughts from the questions above, or a prayer.

+++++

My notes:

Jesus was perfect in obedience and submission to his Father in Heaven.
This was not so from duty or dead action, but flowed from a living,
active, delightful relationship between Jesus, the Father, and the
Holy Spirit.

Love!

1 comment:

  1. I wonder why Jesus had to be baptized. "To fulfill all righteousness," yes, but what does that mean?
    Maybe to act in humility and obedience to the Father? TO fulfill the shadows of baptism in the Old Testament; to foreshadow His death and resurrection?
    Perhaps all of the above.
    I wonder what it must've been like to see the sky open up, to hear the voice of the Father.
    I wonder what Hole Spirit looks like. Comparable to a dove, yes, but to see Him I imagine is much different that to read a black & white metaphor.
    I would've liked to be there.

    ReplyDelete