Monday, February 7, 2011

My influences this week

The Bible:

Last week I studied through Matthew 1-7 in my study through the New Testament. This week I'm doing the same for Matthew 8-14. I'm going pretty slowly through Matthew, since I have to preach through it. I'll pick up the pace when I get to Mark.

Books:

I'm reading a lot of Study Bible notes right now to prepare for my sermons through the book of Matthew. I use the NIV Study Bible, NLT Study Bible, and the ESV Study Bible primarily, in that order.

St Matthew by Rev. A Carr - I found this little book at a used bookstore last week. It was published by Cambridge University in 1896. It's an old book, and it looks it. I couldn't resist. It's a commentary on the book of Matthew.

Becoming the Answer to our Prayers by Shane Claiborne and Jonathan Wilson Hartgrove
I like Shane Claiborne. I've been making my way through this book since the beginning of our prayer sermon series in January. I'll probably finish it this week, and have a book by John Piper waiting next in line.

Manga Messiah - Yeah, it's a graphic novel about Jesus.

Invincible - The new issue is pretty intense. Robert Kirkman is a genius.

TV/Movies:

Kate and I have been watching Community this week. We caught up last night. My favourite episode ever was the "Messianic Myths" episode from the end of last year, when Abed tries to discover who Jesus is by making a film. I think I'll watch it again today.

Superman III - It's terrible, but Kate had never seen it, so, you know.

Smallville - Also terrible, but I just can't turn away . . .

Matthew (The Visual Bible) - I LOVE this adaptation of the life of Jesus. We bought a copy for the church this week.

AND

this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment