Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jesus tested in the desert - Matthew 4:1-11, Hebrews 4:14-16, Ephesians 6:10-18

(additional reading Mark 1:12-13, Luke 4:1-13)

Matthew 4:1-11 (NIV)

1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.”

4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down. For it is written:

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,
and they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’”

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Hebrews 4:14-16 (NIV)

14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Ephesians 6:10-18 (NIV)

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

++++++++++

My Notes:

God,

I don't feel especially strong today. Today is a day of more questions than answers, it seems.

But I come boldly. It is not arrogance for me to claim boldness and strength as I approach you in prayer, when my strength is in you, and my boldness is through faith in Jesus, my High Priest.

What an incredible gift prayer is. I talk boldly to the Father of the King of kings. But I've been adopted. Why shouldn't I come? And in my weakness, you are strong. To confess that I am in need of strength today is not difficult when I remember that Jesus did as well.

Jesus was hungry. Wow. And his temptations came during this time of weakness.

There's something in knowing
You know how this felt
There's something in sharing
This hand that we're dealt

And so, I will approach boldly.
I will be strong, not in my circumstances or feelings, but in you and your power.
I will put on your armour.
I will stand firm.

I will pray in the Spirit.

My hope is you.

2 comments:

  1. The devil uses the human desire for power - earthly power, finite power - to lure people to failure. His plan of attack was the same towards Jesus, but He didn't fall for the trap.

    Jesus understands my weaknesses. He gets the reality and the difficulty of the battle between spirit and flesh. He doesn't mock my imperfection or speak to me condescendingly in response. He feels the ache of my heart to be like Him and the sting of the harsh truth that I am not.
    And He gives me grace - a grace that covers my every blemish - anyway. He chooses to be near me despite my weakness, and in fact, probably more accurately, because of my weakness. He empowers me by proximity and enables me to overcome, to fight back, by equipping me.

    Lord, You are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus is perfect.

    Father give us strength to hold firm to the faith we profess. We're sorry for forgetting you. Equip us to stand firm in your truth.

    ReplyDelete