Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Israel Tested in the Desert - Exodus 34:27-35, Deuteronomy 8:1-20

Exodus 34:27-35 (NIV10)

27 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.” 28 Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.

29 When Moses came down from Mount Sinai with the two tablets of the covenant law in his hands, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD. 30 When Aaron and all the Israelites saw Moses, his face was radiant, and they were afraid to come near him. 31 But Moses called to them; so Aaron and all the leaders of the community came back to him, and he spoke to them. 32 Afterward all the Israelites came near him, and he gave them all the commands the LORD had given him on Mount Sinai.

33 When Moses finished speaking to them, he put a veil over his face. 34 But whenever he entered the LORD’s presence to speak with him, he removed the veil until he came out. And when he came out and told the Israelites what he had been commanded, 35 they saw that his face was radiant. Then Moses would put the veil back over his face until he went in to speak with the LORD.

Deuteronomy 8:1-20 (NIV10)

1 Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land the LORD promised on oath to your ancestors. 2 Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. 3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. 4 Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years. 5 Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you.

6 Observe the commands of the LORD your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him. 7 For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land—a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills; 8 a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey; 9 a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.

10 When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God for the good land he has given you. 11 Be careful that you do not forget the LORD your God, failing to observe his commands, his laws and his decrees that I am giving you this day. 12 Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied, when you build fine houses and settle down, 13 and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, 14 then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 15 He led you through the vast and dreadful wilderness, that thirsty and waterless land, with its venomous snakes and scorpions. He brought you water out of hard rock. 16 He gave you manna to eat in the wilderness, something your ancestors had never known, to humble and test you so that in the end it might go well with you. 17 You may say to yourself, “My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me.” 18 But remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your ancestors, as it is today.

19 If you ever forget the LORD your God and follow other gods and worship and bow down to them, I testify against you today that you will surely be destroyed. 20 Like the nations the LORD destroyed before you, so you will be destroyed for not obeying the LORD your God.

++++++++++

My Notes:

Ex34:27 - ...in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel.

29 - ...he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the LORD.

Deut8:1 - Be careful to follow every command I am giving ... the land that the LORD promised on oath to your forefathers.

3 - He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna ... to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.

10-14 - When you have eaten and are satisfied, praise the LORD your God ... do not forget the LORD ... Otherwise, when you eat and are satisfied ... and your silver and gold increase ... your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

v18 - But remember the LORD ... it is he who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms his covenant, which he swore to your forefathers, as it is today.

Father,

I want to be consistent. Sometimes it seems like life is a mountaintop experience, and things are so good that my whole being is shining from your presence with me. Other times, I find myself in the desert, and you make yourself obvious to me through my lack, and my obvious need for you.

I want to be faithful with little. I want to be prepared, during those desert times, to be able to remain faithful to remember you during times of abundance.

Teach me, Father. I know that I often prefer those easy times, but the truest part of my being would rather be close to you than to just have my belly full and a house full of nice things. Let those times of lack be sweet with the awareness of your presence. I want to learn all you have to teach me. I want to be faithful, to trust you, to be generous and free.

And when I have times of abundance, I want to remain faithful, and trusting, and generous, and free.

Thankyou.

++

God,

I need clarity, and wisdom, and rest.

Also, these passages remind me of the current events in Egypt right now. I don't know exactly what to pray. I'm so glad for the potential for a new, free, democratic order there. I also realize that true freedom comes from you. Please keep things peaceful there. Thankyou for what seems to be a good process so far. Your will be done.

++

I Will Not Forget You
by Waterdeep

Many men will drink the rain
And turn to thank the clouds
Many men will hear you speak
But they will never turn around

Many men will pour their gold
And serve a thing that shines
Many men will read your words
But they will never change their minds

I will not forget you are my God, my King
With a thankful heart I bring my offering
And my sacrifice is not what you can give
But what I alone can give to you

A grateful heart I give
A thankful prayer I pray
A wild dance I dance before you
A loud song I sing
A huge bell I ring
A life of praise I live before you

1 comment:

  1. Let me start off by saying the Old Testament friggin' rocks hardcore. I love it. I eat up every word, and I am satisfied. I am encouraged by my reflection as the new Israel in the covenant that I see so clearly through reading the history of the Israelites. And I am reminded that God is so complex, but He is faithful to meet me exactly where I am... Whether on the mountain, or in the desert.
    ________________________________________

    When Moses was in the constant presence of God, he didn't eat or drink. I don't think he needed to.

    "for man does not live on bread alone..."

    He knew God's presence in a physical and visible way. So did everyone else when they looked at him. The Israelites were afraid at the sight of his face, but I think this was mostly because they knew in their hearts that the Lord was truly with them.

    The Israelites' relationship with God was very much a parent-child relationship. They operated on the basis of reward & punishment. They were disciplined by our Father because they lacked self-discipline. They had to be reminded that the reward they were about to receive was only theirs because of God - it was through nothing they had done or accomplished.

    Father God, remind me that I am the new Israel. I am just as reckless, foolish, imperfect, and weak. I am also in need of discipline at times. I am also fearful in the face of my freedom in moments. I pray that I would receive Your correction with humility. I want to walk into the Promised Land. I want to rejoice in my exodus out of sin and into life, not sleep in the very cell that kept me a slave to my flesh.

    Lord, lead me in Your ways.

    ReplyDelete