Friday, June 17, 2011

Ephesians 3, Galatians 1-6

Through the New Testament Reading - Galatians 1-6

Ephesians 3

Ephesians 3:6 - This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 3:17b-19 - And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 3:20-21 - Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Day 5 – My Personal Response to Ephesians 3

The story of Jesus is reconciliation and redemption through sacrifice. God want to all lengths possible to pave the way for our reconciliation. If I believe that I am now united with Jesus, and carry his Spirit, I am able to also go to the furthest length to allow for reconciliation between myself and those I've broken relationship with. Also, I can minister this reconciliation to others and in the world.

I have a person in my life with whom I have a strained relationship. I love and respect this person, but our disagreements on a particular issue led to a drift between us. I have reached out an olive branch to restore the relationship, but I have not outright pursued restoration and forgiveness to its fullest. This week, I will do that. I know that reconciliation goes both ways, so I will not mark my success or failure by it. It isn't entirely up to me. However, I can humbly initiate the conversations that may allow healing to occur.

The Bible says that Jesus died for us while we were still sinners. It also calls us enemies of God before redemption. However, the story of Jesus is that he did not treat us as enemies, or according to our sin, but in love he instead took all the hostility between us into himself, the wrath of God, and the wrath of man, and overcame it. He restored us to God, but he also restored humanity to one another, even breaking down the wall between those who were once religious "insiders" and pagan "outsiders".

I love hero stories. I love antihero stories. I may prefer the latter. In any case, I like the story where good people triumph over evil people. But this story isn't like that. In this story of reconciliation, the enemies are treated as friends and brothers, and in that sacrificial love redemption occurs. So, despite my temptation to do otherwise, I will no longer frame my stories of conflict into heroes and villains. I will encourage and seek reconciliation, grieving even for the black and stony heart of even the most oppressive and evil actor in a conflict. I will appeal to God's love for the common humanity of every person, First Nations or Police Officer, Squatter or Landowner, Palestinian or Israeli Defense Force. All are marked with the Imago Dei, the Image of God. As I seek to speak and minister reconciliation personally and globally, I will communicate in my speech and actions God's desire to see both the oppressed and the oppressor free of oppression, for both are bound. I will stretch my faith to believe that God's love can reach as far as to forgive those whom I perceive to be an enemy. I will humbly ask him to do so through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment