Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ephesians 1:17, 18-19a, 19b-21, Matthew 15-19

Through the New Testament Reading - Matthew 15-19

Ephesians 1

Ephesians 1:17

I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

Ephesians 1:18-19a

I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe.

Ephesians 19b-21

That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

Day 4 – Key Verses Engaged

It's an uncomfortable thought for me to consider how I would put these verses into practice.

My first thought is that these poetic passages of the supremacy of Christ should move me to deep prayer and worship. This is true, but there is more.

If this is the king I serve, and he rules in justice, mercy, faithfulness, and love, then I am fully enabled to walk in the light of these laws of this just kingdom. I can walk in justice, mercy, and faithfulness, even in opposition to the culture, power, or authority surrounding me.

In Christ, I can stand firm on the side of justice, and I can oppose injustice in this world. I do not need to be afraid. I do not need to rebel to resist. Injustice in this world has been conquered by Christ, and any authority who would dare to walk contrary to justice and reconciliation is contrary to the king. It is these authorities that are in rebellion.

Anything that would hinder me from walking according to justice and peace has been removed. Anything that would hinder me from resisting injustice and oppression in this world has been removed. God has made us free to live in and act for the demonstration of heaven on earth.

So the challenge for me in these verses is to do so. First, to respond to God in worship and prayer. Second, to live according to his kingdom. Third, to actively resist the rulers, authorities, powers, and titles that would rebel against his authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment