Monday, March 14, 2011

Sermon on the Mount - "Do Not Judge" - Matthew 7:1-6

(Additional Reading - Luke 6:37-42)

Matthew 7:1-6 (NIV)

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

++
++

My Notes:

Father,

I have a strong sense of justice. You've given me this.

Living in community means always having opportunities to see people's real life. Real life is messy.

I believe that you are challenging me in this verse to look at myself first. I imagine that I could often have an easier time finding faults in others quickly than myself. But in myself I'm sure to find them.

God I offer myself to you. I offer you my specks, my logs, and my blindness. Make me more like you, and more aware of your true justice for myself and my brother, and your true grace offered equally to myself and my brother.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment