Thursday, March 10, 2011

Parable of the Rich Fool - Luke 12:13-21

Luke 12:13-21 (NIV)

13 Someone in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”

14 Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed me a judge or an arbiter between you?” 15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.”

16 And he told them this parable: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”

++
++
++

My Notes:

Life does not consist in an abundance of possessions.

Father,

Thankyou for being my provider

and the provider for my family.

Thankyou for teaching us to give.

Thankyou for everything you've given us to give.

Thankyou for freeing us from obligations to things that would have held us back.

Thankyou for bringing us to Edmonton.

Thankyou for a mom whose heart existed halfway across the world with people who had nothing.

Thankyou for a dad who had nothing and lived among and loved those who had nothing.

Thankyou for a wife who would hitchhike

and sleep on floors

and under a bridge

when she believes that to do so is to participate in your Kingdom.

Thankyou for dreams of a better world

instead of a better car.

Thankyou for time spent with my family

deciding how much time I have left for work

instead of the other way around.

Would you take us further into this lifestyle.

Would you take whatever is left.

Because this is better. This is much better.

-Shawn

No comments:

Post a Comment