Friday, March 18, 2011

My Influences Right Now - Sleep, Bladerunner, Wilson McKinley, Spirit of Elijah, My Church

We're still in the sermon on the Mount, so I was in the first seven chapters of Matthew a lot this week.

Other than that, to write out the rest of my study resources would be redundant. It's pretty much the same as the last two weeks or so. Just read those old "influences" entries. It's pretty much the same.

I'm was pretty tired this week. I worked hard. I'm writing this Friday morning, and I slept in today. Kate told me to do it. She said I was worth it.

I did watch Bladerunner this week for the first time. I was disappointed.

I've been listening to a lot of acidy Jesus People music this week. Wilson McKinley is at the top of my list. One of his songs, "Spirit of Elijah", sounds a little like the Doors, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin. It's the last track from the album of the same name.

Hey church. You're worth it. I love you. I'm a very blessed pastor. This church is beautiful.

mmm. Just for fun, here's the notes to a sermon I preached to a group of pastors on Wednesday:

+++++

A Pastor's Inner Life - Soldier, Athlete, Farmer

2 Timothy 2:3-7 (NIV)
3 Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. 4 No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs—he wants to please his commanding officer. 5 Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor’s crown unless he competes according to the rules. 6 The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. 7 Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.

Introduction

Timothy is a young pastor. Paul is an older and more experienced pastor, his mentor. Paul is near the end of his life.

v1
Eph. 6:10 - Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
John 1:17 - For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

It’s all about Jesus. It’s all in Jesus and through Jesus. The heavy lifting has been done. Walk in him.

v2
Preach the word. Teach others to preach the word. Reach, teach, and mobilize.
Faithful and qualified people. Promote character and giftedness both, not either/or.
You – remain faithful and qualified. Sharpen your sword.
Remaining faithful and qualified in the word and in the spirit, and teaching others to do the same is very hard work.

v3
Endure Hardship
2 Timothy 4:5 - As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Hardship and trials are a normal Christian experience.

James 1:2-4 (NIV)
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Romans 8:35, 37 (NIV)
35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.

Hardship is certain. Our victory in Jesus, and his love for us are even more certain.
Faith in his love and his victory won for us will give us the perseverance to endure.


1 - A Soldier - Civilian Affairs – A faithful and qualified pastor’s first priority is to please Jesus. (v4)

Matthew 5:13-16 (NIV)
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.
14 “You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

God intends his disciples to live changed lives that change lives.
This world is our home. We are not just passing through.

Matthew 6:1 (NIV)
Be careful not to do your ‘acts of righteousness’ before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

We are salt and light in this world, but it is not us that is seen, but our good works for God’s glory.
We only live for the approval of God, not the approval of people.

Romans 8:2 (NIV)
2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

The things of this world choke out God’s word in our lives (Matthew 13:22 – cares of this world and the deceitfulness of wealth).
When our eyes and heart are singly focussed on Jesus, we know the will of our commanding officer, and are able to please him.

Philippians 3:4-11 (NIV)
If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.
7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10 I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Matthew 6:33 (NIV)
33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Jesus is our priority. We have little time or energy for anything else.

My priorities (match my roles) – Disciple, Husband, Father, Pastor, Evangelist.
Once I placed these in my weekly schedule, I didn’t have much time left for anything else. I don’t miss it.

2. An Athlete – Competes by the Rules – A faithful and qualified pastor is disciplined. (v5)

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 (NIV)
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Our private life should be viciously disciplined to be free from besetting sins and entanglements.
We should not be distracted by the world (v4), and we should not be bound by besetting sin (v5).


Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV – continues from last point)
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Our daily prayer is that God will forgive our sins (Matthew 6:12). We aren’t perfect yet. But we must not use this as an excuse for lawlessness. On the contrary, we need to be an example of purity and righteousness to our congregations. And when we fail, we must be an example of repentance and humility, as Paul is here. There should be no hidden and habitual sin in a pastor’s life.

Have regular accountability in your life, a person who you regularly check in with about your time with Jesus, and your private world.

3. A Farmer – Feeds Himself First – A faithful and qualified pastor is filled with the word before teaching others. (v6)

Denying yourself to follow Jesus does not mean ministering at the expense of your time with Jesus or your family’s time with you. You should be filled first, and then give. Pour out your life for your congregation, but from a full vessel.

Have a Sabbath. Take a whole day off. Don’t prepare your message for next week. Don’t meet with your congregation. Don’t check your email.

Give to your family before giving to your church. Don’t give your kids your leftovers. To make sure I do this, I take time daily for my family, and a whole day on Saturday, before I preach so I’m fresh.

1 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV – speaking of payment of those who preach)
7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk?

1 Corinthians 9:23 (NIV) - I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Hebrews 10:36 (NIV)
36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.

Conclusion

To minister the gospel is a blessing! (1 Cor 9:23)

We live for a heavenly kingdom! (Matt 6:33)

We have the approval of our commanding officer! (2 Tim 2:4)

We have treasure in heaven! (Matt 6:1)

We’re going to win this race, and get a victor’s crown! (2 Tim 2:5)

We receive the blessings of the gospel first! (2 Tim 2:6)

Enjoy your ministry. Thank God for the blessing of your calling and gifts. Love your congregation.

No comments:

Post a Comment