Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I love the Jewish nation

I realized since writing my first entry yesterday that these first entries in particular may set a tone for this blog and the perceptions of those who follow it.

For this reason I wanted to make it abundantly clear that I love the Jewish nation and Jewish people, and do not support anti-semitism in any way. My faith has its' roots in the Jewish faith and history. The entire Bible, Jewish and Christian scriptures, was written by Jewish people.

We are all from the same Creator, made Imago Dei - in the image of God- and all persons are incredibly valuable and worthy of kindness, love, and justice.

I was privileged to be brought up with a very "whole world" perspective. My mom (my hero) raised my brother and I with a strong awareness of a multicultural and multiethnic world. This love for a diversity of human experience in my life has not diminished. On the contrary, I will intentionally try to surround myself with a diversity of people from many different walks of life and different backgrounds. This value is part of what led me to L'Arche, an international community for people with disabilities, made up of people from dozens of countries, from every continent in the world. I am honoured to be among them.



I was also brought up to believe the politics and theology of evangelical Zionism. This is what I have come to wholly reject. Let it be well understood that my ardent criticism of the policies of the Israeli government and its' supporters is not to be taken for one moment as anti-Jewish in any way. I do not support or condone racism or oppression of any group. This is why I have rejected Zionism, and especially the dangerous theologies within evangelicalism that support it.

Righteousness and Justice for all the oppressed.

-Shawn

No comments:

Post a Comment